What exactly do you need to know and understand about the tuning process as a Maine piano owner? What should a piano owner expect from a piano regarding the tuning process? What does a Maine piano tuning include or not precisely have?
Several factors are taken into account in the tuning process. Those factors are generally the piano's condition, quality, and age. These factors will determine how a piano needs to be tuned and if it can be tuned at all. The materials that a piano is built with can often determine its pitch. For example, materials such as wood or iron can and will often contract with the changes in the humidity and temperature.
1. All pianos can be tuned.This is 100%, not a fact. Not all pianos can be tuned. For many various reasons, not all pianos can be tuned. Some pianos are just too old and damaged to be tuned.
2. Two different pianos can be tuned the same way. This is not true. Each piano is another, and each will need to be tuned differently. For example, large and small pianos need to be tuned in totally different ways.
3. A piano not in good condition can be fixed with a tuning. This is not true. Not all pianos can be tuned.
1. Each piano tuning session costs between $100 and $300 and lasts between one and three hours.
2. Some pianos could require a pitch raise and need more than one session to tune.
3. When an older piano is being tuned, it is possible that strings could break. But, again, this is not the piano tuner's fault.
4. Keeping your piano in tune will significantly extend the life of your piano by many years.
5. Keeping your piano by a door or a window will cause it to go out of tune faster. If possible your piano should be kept in the inner room of your house.
Steve Cates does piano tuning in Waterville, Augusta, Bangor, and Portland, Maine.
|Hourly standard charge||$100 first hour/ $80/hr for second hour + parts|
|Grand hammer shaping, complete regulation and tone building process for pianos that had not had the strings previously 'bedded'||$2700|
|Restringing||$1500 to $2000 depending on size|
|Standard Tuning (and minor work)||$120 to $160|
|Move pianos in and out of state||Contact For Price|
|Major Pitch Adjustment||$40|
|Complete action regulation||$240|
|Full disassembly and cleaning||$80|